Financial Help and Support

The school has generated a list of organisations/ signpost links that may help pupils and their families access financial support. Please take time to read over this list and contact the relevant organisation for further information. It is our objective to get it right for every child.

Please keep abreast of all updates as we endeavour to support pupils and parents within Hamilton Grammar’s learning community.

If you do not have access to the internet or telephone please visit your local library, community centre or Citizens Advice Bureau and make use of their free facilities. All South Lanarkshire Leisure and Culture libraries have activeIT Learning Centres offering free internet and access to a range of online subscription services.


DWP Universal Credit Helpline – 0800 328 5644

Opening Times – Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your monthly living costs.  You may qualify for this if you are on a lower income, you are currently out of work or you currently cannot work.


SLC Money Matters Service – 030 123 1008

Opening Times – Monday, Tuesday & Thursday 8.45am – 4.45pm;

                                 Wednesdays 11am – 4.45pm;

                                 Friday 8.45am – 4.15pm

This service provides free and confidential information and advice on all social security related benefits, including assistance to complete claim forms, offer benefit checks to ensure people are receiving their full entitlement to benefits and provide a support and representation service to people who have been refused benefits or wish to appeal their claim.  You can also get help and advice on dealing with mortgages, rent, council tax and payment of other household bills.

South Lanarkshire Council clothing grants and free school meals

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction from us there is no need for you to apply online, we will use the information we hold to automatically award free school meals (P4 to S6) and/or school clothing grants (P1 to S6) to eligible families.    

Please note that Single Person Discount on your Council Tax is not classed as Council Tax Reduction. Universal Credit recipients should only apply online if they are not receiving Council Tax Reduction.

Clothing Grant Helpline Address: Finance and Corporate Resources, Systems and Control Team, PO Box 3591 Glasgow, G73 9ED or email

Free School Meals If you are receiving Working Tax Credit and/or Child Tax Credit or Universal Credit we will need to see a copy of your Tax Credit Award Notice (TC602) or your latest Universal Credit online statement. You can attach a scan or photograph of this with your online application form, or post a copy to Finance and Corporate Resources, Systems and Control Team, PO Box 3591, Glasgow G73 9ED.

Free school meals could save you approximately £323 per academic year. Entitlement can be checked at schools from the beginning of term.

To apply for clothing grants and/or free school meals got to:


Citizens Advice Bureau Hamilton – 01698 283477

Advice provided by this service is free, independent, confidential, impartial and available to everyone.  Citizens Advice aim to achieve a fairer Scotland where people are empowered and their rights respected.


Revolve Recycling Clothing Bank Hamilton – 0141 641 5169

Opening Times – Monday – Friday 9am – 4.30pm

Revolve Recycling offers a clothing bank for people within the community who are in need of quality seasonal clothing.  We have ‘take for free’ rails where people can take items they need no questions asked.


South Lanarkshire Council School Transport

Secondary schools

SLC provide school transport for secondary school pupils who live two miles or more away from the catchment secondary school by the shortest safe walking route.

Secondary school pupils may also be entitled to free transport:

  • if they live two miles or more from their catchment secondary school by the shortest safe walking route.
  • if they have been recommended for school transport by their doctor and the school medical officer for health reasons
  • if they attend a specialist school or centre recommended by the Council
  • if they have to walk a route which is considered unsafe in relation to the West of Scotland Road Safety Forum guidelines.

To apply go to


Hamilton District Food bank – 07884451512

Hamilton District Food bank provides three days of nutritionally balanced emergency food and support to local people who are referred to us in crisis.


Clyde, Avon and Nethan Food bank – 07591104027

Opening Times – Tuesday – Friday 11am – 2pm

We provide emergency food and support to people locked in poverty and campaign for change to end the need for food banks in the UK.


East Kilbride Community Food bank – 01555 771700

EK Community Food bank is a short-term care initiative that aims to help families who are facing financial difficulty and do not have enough money to buy all of the food that they require as a family.  Food packages are given out freely to families without question or judgement.


BLAMELESS (Charity) –

Blameless is a charity based in Hamilton Accademical Football Grounds who focus on children and families affected by alcoholism and addiction. Although the website focuses on their amenities they also have a facility to apply for items.



Crisis Grants can provide people with a safety net in the event of a disaster or emergency such as a fire or flood, or if any money has been lost or stolen. Claimants must be on benefits or have a low income. These are one off payments with a maximum of three applications in a rolling year.


Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

Education Maintenance Allowance provides financial support of £30 a week for 16 to 19 year olds from low-income households who are continuing in full-time education. EMA can help young people cover basic school costs, such as travel, uniform and additional resources, and reducing financial barriers to accessing school. Young people applying for EMA need information about their parents’ income to prove their eligibility and must complete a learning agreement. Full details about EMA eligibility and how to apply are available on all local authority websites and on


Debt advice

Scotland’s Financial Health Service Find a local money adviser at or use their helpline 0800 707 6696


National Debtline

Free impartial debt advice at or on 0808 808 4000 Benefits check and support



Helps people in financial hardship to gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services


Housing Associations

Most Housing Associations have welfare rights services for tenants.


Housing advice

Shelter Scotland at or on 0808 800 444 Domestic abuse support


Scottish Women’s Aid at or 0800 027 1234


The Child Poverty Action Group in Scotland

Advice Line offers free, independent, expert, up-to-date advice and information on the benefits and tax credits system. We welcome enquiries from frontline staff of all levels of experience. Please note that we do not have resources to provide direct advice to people who are claiming benefits but will be able to provide advice to school staff enquiring on a parent or carer’s behalf. 0141 552 0552 Monday to Thursday, 10am – 4pm, Friday 10am – 12 noon or at