The Scottish Government are to provide the council with additional funding to ensure that pupils currently in receipt of means tested free school meal provision receive free school meal payments during the following holiday periods:
- Summer 2021
- October 2021
- Christmas 2021
- February 2022
- Easter 2022
In accordance with the level of funding provided by the Scottish Government, the Summer 2021 payments were (covering 25 June – 13 August 2021) made in three tranches on the following dates:
- Friday 25 June 2021 – £27.50 per eligible child or young person (covering 25 June – 9 July 2021)
- Friday 9 July 2021 – £25 per eligible child or young person (covering 12 July – 23 July 2021)
- Friday 23 July 2021 – £37.50 per eligible child or young person (covering 26 July – 13 August 2021) Payment dates for future holiday period
Payment dates for future holiday periods will be confirmed nearer the time.
Although all P1-3 pupils receive a free school meal whilst at school, in line with Scottish Government funding arrangements the payments referred to above will only be made if you get any of the following benefits and are therefore eligible for free school meals:
- Income Support
- Universal Credit (and your earned income is less than £610 as assessed by the Department for Work and Pensions in the assessment period immediately preceding the application for free school meals)
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- Child Tax Credit only (with a gross annual income less than £16,105 as assessed by HM Revenues and Customs on your Tax Credit Award Notice TC602)
- Working Tax Credit and Child Tax credit (with a gross annual income less than £7,330) as assessed by HM Revenues and Customs on your Tax Credit Award Notice (TC602)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
The payment will be made direct into your bank account using bank details we already have from making the footwear and clothing grant payments, along with the Covid-19 support payments earlier this year.
In exceptional circumstances we may pay by cheque or Pay Point voucher.
Who is eligible to receive a free school meal payment during the school Summer holiday period?
Any household with a child or young person eligible for free school meals who get any of the benefits listed above. This includes primary, secondary and ASN schools. For more information on whether you are eligible, see the Free School Meals page https://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/info/200259/education_benefits/159/school_clothing_grants_and_free_school_meals/2
Are all children in P1-P3 eligible for this payment?
No. Although all P1 to P3 pupils automatically get a free school meal whilst at school, in line with Scottish Government funding arrangements you will only get this payment if you get any of the benefits listed above. For more information on eligibility see the Free School Meals page https://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/info/200259/education_benefits/159/school_clothing_grants_and_free_school_meals/2
Does this payment include nursery children?
No, nursery aged children are currently not legally entitled to free school meals. The current statutory entitlement is 600 hours per year and does not include the provision of food.
When will I receive my payments?
As detailed above, the Summer 2021 payment will consist of 3 separate payments made on 25 June 2021, 9 July 2021 and 23 July 2021. Payment dates for future holiday periods will be confirmed nearer the time.
Will I get a payment for each of my children?
Yes, you will receive a payment for each eligible child or young person.
Do I need to apply for this payment?
No. The payment will be made direct into your bank account using bank details we already have from making the footwear and clothing grant payments, along with the Covid19 support payments earlier this year. In exceptional circumstances we may pay by cheque or PayPoint voucher.
How long do I have to cash-in my PayPoint voucher?
The voucher is valid for 1 month from the date of issue.
How do I redeem my PayPoint voucher?
Your voucher can be redeemed for cash at any PayPoint outlet, of which there are more than 100 across South Lanarkshire. You can find your nearest PayPoint outlet by searching https://consumer.paypoint.com/ on the PayPoint website.
Can I cash my PayPoint voucher online?
No. PayPoint payment vouchers can only be redeemed from a PayPoint outlet. You can find your nearest PayPoint outlet by searching https://consumer.paypoint.com/ on the PayPoint website.
I believe I should have received payment and haven’t, who do I contact?
You should use our enquiry form which can be found here: https://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/forms/form/348/en/covid-19_-_free_school_meals_enquiry .
If you have any other questions about free school meals during school holidays use our enquiry form https://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/forms/form/348/en/covid-19_-_free_school_meals_enquiry